Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Welcome!

Welcome to the Mobile Game Developer Journal.  My intention for this site is to create a useful collection of the things I've learned since I started developing iOS apps part time in 2009.  Just about anything related to game development is fair game.

I have published two games in the App Store under my company Handy Macro.  The first game was a simple 3D shooter called Assault on DX327 and the second was a 2D game called Sick Froggies.  While neither game was a market success, they were both great learning experiences.  I learned to use most of the iOS SDK, OpenGL, Blender, and Gimp while creating them.


After reflecting on my first two projects, I've decided to make a couple big changes to my process.  The first big change is that going forward, I'm going to use Unity.  The amount of time that it saves is incredible.  I'm still small enough to operate with the free license but when if and when I get to the point that I need to buy the Pro license, I'll be more than happy to cut the check.    The second big change is that I will by buying assets instead of trying to create them myself.  I came to the realization that I'm just not very good at creating 3D models and artwork.  It takes me forever to get anything done and the results are usually disappointing.  You can get great models and artwork for fairly inexpensively.

So that's it, a brief overview of some of the stuff I've done.  I plan to talk more about each of these areas in upcoming posts.  But for now, I need to get back to writing some code!

Thank you for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment